When Is Lasting Power of Attorney Needed?The best time to have an LPA in places is before something happens to you so that your property and financial affairs and/or health and welfare decisions can be appropriately administered in your physical or mental absence.
What If I Don’t Have A Lasting Power of Attorney?
You have no control on who makes decisions on your behalf the courts will decide. Access to accounts, billing questions, property and other financial issues are challenging if not nearly impossible for others to manage. In regard to health and welfare, your choices are left entirely to the decision of others.
Who Should Have Lasting Power Of Attorney?
At a minimum, the person or persons that have the majority of decision making and primary responsibilities in relation to all financial affairs.
What Are The Types Of Lasting Power of Attorney?
- Property and Financial Affairs
- This LPA covers areas of your life where money and property are involved. You don’t have to own your own home or have a lot of money to make this type of LPA.
- Health and Welfare
- This LPA covers your medical, physical and personal care. It also lets you give your attorneys power to make decisions about treatment to keep you alive or, alternatively, to say that your doctors will make those decisions.
What Do I Need To Do to implement Lasting Power of Attorney?
- Make decisions about your LPA and choose the people you want to be involved.
- Make sure all the required people sign your LPA document in the correct order
- Register. We will do that for you.
Who Should I Appoint As My Attorney (Authorised Representative)?
In general, you can ask anyone with mental capacity aged 18 or over to be your attorney. In legal terms, an ‘attorney’ is a person who’s allowed to act on behalf of someone, but attorneys don’t need to be solicitors. Many people choose family members, friends and other trusted individuals with no legal background. If an attorney is not a professional, the important thing is that you know each other well and that they are someone who will respect your views and act in your best interests.
If you want a helping hand in arranging Lasting Power of Attorney please don’t hesitate to get in touch.