If you are midwife you may be able to claim a tax rebate. This is because you are allowed to claim tax back on some of the expenses of your employment. Most of these reliefs usually go unclaimed because it’s the employee’s responsibility to record and report expenses incurred to HMRC, so there is a good chance that you are entitled to a rebate of some sort.

What can I claim for?

1. NMC fees

If you are required to register with the Nursing and Midwifery Council you can claim tax relief on the cost of the subscriptions. Typically anyone registered with the NMC can claim tax relief at around £20 per year or £40 per year for higher rate taxpayers.

You can also claim additional tax back on any fees you paid to register a subsequent qualification.

If you are already claiming tax relief on NMC fees its worth remembering that as NMC fees increased last year you may now be able to claim a bit more tax back.

2. RCM membership

If you are member of the Royal College of Midwives you can also claim tax relief on those subscriptions. If you pay the full subscription rate you could be due around £47 per year in tax.

2. Unison membership

Union membership isn’t usually tax deductible, however if you work in healthcare you can claim tax relief on membership fees with Unison. Unison has more than half a million members in the healthcare sector, so a number of midwives will be members. The amount on which you are allowed to claim tax relief is restricted, however if you pay the highest subscription rate you could be due around £35-£70 per year in tax.

3. Professional indemnity insurance

If you have to pay professional indemnity insurance, for instance through providers such as the MPS (Medical Protection Society) you can also claim the tax back on the cost of your premiums. You’d usually get 20%-40% of what you paid back in tax.

4. Upkeep of equipment and uniform

Nurses, midwives and similar other jobs are given an allowance to cover the cost of upkeep and laundry of their uniforms, this can be worth between £20 and £40 per year in tax, depending on which rate of tax you pay.

You can also claim an additional allowance for shoes and tights. The allowance is relatively small but it can increase any rebate and tax relief by £3-£7 per year.

For the purposes of claiming these allowances HMRC has a broad definition of a nurse which includes “nurses and midwives of all grades and includes auxiliaries, students, nursing assistants and healthcare assistants or workers”. This definition will include most care workers so most workers engaged in nursing or direct patient care can be classed as nurses when it comes to making a claim.

Can I backdate my claim?

You can backdate your claim over the previous 4 tax years, even if you’ve had multiple jobs or left your job in midwifery. For the current and future tax years you can get tax relief through your tax code which means you’ll get a bit less tax deducted from your pay packet.

How do I claim?

Use the contact us and we will be in touch immediately to assess your claim

Why claim through you?

Unlike most companies we’re a member firm of the Institute of Chartered Certified Accountants and we are fully qualified to give tax advice, we’re not just a claims handler. If you’ve followed other advice and claimed before we’d still like to take on your claim as there is a good chance that we can claim some extra tax back for you. If you aren’t entitled to a rebate it won’t cost you anything.